Given its primary function as a place of worship and performing rituals, the mosque's role encompasses positive vibration onto all aspects of life away from disrupting the positive functions of other components and pillars of society.
It is known that during the Mohammad period, a mosque was not merely dedicated to performing the prayers nor restricted to men or a certain age group. On the contrary, a mosque was a point of vibration onto the whole society, a centre of leadership and management of public affairs, an edifice of learning and knowledge dissemination, a house of judicature, a venue for meetings, incubator for character refinement and a base for constructive media activity as well as a centre for social solidarity. Above all, the mosque undertook the responsibility of investigating the populace problems and initiating solutions. This pivotal multi-function role account for the central position assigned to mosques in the Islamic city planning where the city districts and markets were closely linked to the all-inclusive mosque in the same way heart is linked to lively arteries.
The anticipated role of a mosque makes it a resort to mass groups, of all types and diverse needs, to perform the Islamic rituals and to benefit from positive oration which sharpens the intellect, cultivates good will, fosters positive emotion and guides to the path of virtue, true religion and beneficence throughout the course of life. It is proper for the mosque congregation to avail themselves of the Quran and Sunna learning rings, the courses on Islamic legal and cosmic sciences, awareness and guidance programmes and workshops, volunteer work and activities related to youth and children as well as the educational aid tools and technology apparatus that cope with and invest recent developments for the public interests.
Without doubt a mosque has a peculiar esteem in the lives of Muslims everywhere and its influence on the existence of Muslims in Europe and their social participation is quite conspicuous. It plays an effective role in embodying such human values as equality, anti-racism, mercy and solidarity. The presence of mosques in the European countries raises their role to the level of societal activity, charitable and humanitarian work at the local level, in addition to its role in spurring social interconnection, enhancing common understanding and reducing conflicts.
Imam and mosque management along with Islamic institutions as a whole should reflect the religious needs and social interests of Muslims including civil status affairs. To ensure good performance at this level, it is helpful to set up competent frames such as mosques leagues or Imams council or Muslim religious commissions, and the like.
To meet the mosque’s anticipated roles, mosque management should mobilize human and financial resources for this purpose and define pertinent tasks and responsibilities such as public relations officer of media committee officer, etc.
The following part outlines the means and activities to be undertaken by mosques at the external level:
- Arrange gatherings, public meetings, dialogue and cultural forums, conferences and exhibitions that conform to the position and financial resources of the mosque and its envisaged function.
- Organize open days to allow the district residents the opportunity to know about the mosque activities with a view to establish mutual harmonious bonds. Coordination between mosques at the level of the city, territory or country for organizing these events is useful.
- Carry out special activities geared to establishing communication with the populace such as Eid ceremonies, cleaning campaigns in the district and blood donation, group Iftar during Ramadan, in addition to other events that introduce Islam, Islamic culture and mosques to mass groups such as students, seniors, emergency teams, firefighting workers, police and services providers, and the like.
- Organize charitable and humanitarian programmes and projects including relief service for victims of disasters as well as solidarity programmes to support the poor and the homeless, etc.
- Implement media activities for positive communication with mass groups while applying traditional or modern techniques and initiating intercourse that conveys messages compatible with the mosque mission and presence. These include the publication of magazines or bulletins, editing a wall bulletin, launching a website on the internet, or designating a media spokesperson or releasing press statements that are in line with the mosque mission and function. This could be implemented in partnership and collaboration with other Muslim or non-Muslim parties or by way of participating in the edition of local media means (for example district communiqué, local broadcasting station or public website).
- Conduct concerted events at the level of the district, the city and the institutions that share common interests in various fields.
Participate in and coordinate with societies and institutions that are linked to the mosque's scope of interests including participation in coordination frameworks, collaboration groups and work groups engaging in the targeted fields in a manner that strengthens mosque role in encouraging Muslims' social participation.